“The fact that a lot of African-American boys are painted with a broad brush and the excuses given—”Well, there are these statistics out there that show that African-American boys are more violent,” using that as an excuse to then see sons treated different causes pain.” Barrack Obama
To combat these broad social issues, Obama offered three broad suggestions:
1. Get the Justice Department involved with training local governments to reduce mistrust in the legal system. (It’s worth remembering that this episode began with an outcry that Zimmerman wasn’t arrested at all after the incident.)
2. Examine local laws—such as “Stand Your Ground”—and see if they “may encourage the kinds of altercations and confrontations and tragedies that we saw in the Florida case rather than diffuse potential altercations.”
3. Think about ways to bolster and support African-American boys so they do not get caught up in the legal system (as the statistics indicate they are more likely to be).
Even despite the discriminatory experiences Obama described, African-Americans perceive less discrimination in some areas today than they did 10 and 20 years ago, according to the results of a new Gallup survey. A shrinking share of blacks blame discrimination for black-white disparities in jobs, income, and housing.
In 1993, for example, 44 percent of blacks said discrimination was mostly to blame for those disparities, while 37 percent say so today. Non-Hispanic whites exhibited a similar shift: 15 percent say discrimination is mostly to blame for the disparities, down from 21 percent two decades ago. Overall, one in five adults today say the disparities are mostly due to discrimination. Older blacks tend to perceive more discrimination than younger blacks, with 47 percent of those 55 and older saying discrimination is mostly to blame for the disparities, compared with 30 percent of those aged 18 to 34.
Note from Mario:
Here is what Obama is deliberately ignoring:
The police, the court, the jury and the FBI all agreed that:
1. The Stand Your Ground law in Florida had nothing to do with the shooting of Trayvon Martin.
2. That race had nothing to do with the confrontation.
3. That the Second Amendment bans Obama from seizing Zimmerman’s gun now that he is acquitted, leaving Zimmerman defenseless against threats on his life.
4. 93% of black men who are killed every year are murdered by other blacks.
Obama is ignoring all of these things so that he will not waste a crisis.
1. He is borrowing a Sharpton tactic of clouding issues to distract from his scandals and his power grabs.
2. He is inflaming his base to shore up support for his failed presidency.
3. He has made this about race so that the moderate left will feel politically incorrect in questioning his motives.