No president has written a farewell speech that focused entirely on their legacy. Nothing says colossal failure more than this…
Legacy? What Legacy?
By Mario Murillo
At this moment, Obama is drafting his legacy for a farewell speech in Chicago on January 10th. No president has written a farewell speech that focused entirely on their legacy. Nothing says colossal failure more than this.
The greatest travesty is to say he has a legacy. For our own sanity as a nation we dare not confuse lunacy and legacy. You cannot find—with an electron microscope—anything Obama improved after 8 years of holding all the cards.
We must have an autopsy on his presidency or we are doomed to repeat this towering mistake again.
His impending— “I don’t care what anybody says, I did a good job”—tirade in Chicago will be a cringe-worthy act of self- delusion. Far from exalting him, it will cement his status as worst President ever.
How badly did he govern? Consider what he had going for him: He was swaddled in the thickest layers of spin ever accorded an American President. Look who protected him! He had the media in his corner—mainstream journalists outdid each other to lie for him.
He had Hollywood in his pocket—movie stars sacrificed at his altar. Social media giants Facebook, Twitter, Google unambiguously propagandized and censored. Universities taught Obamanetics.
We have had eight years of the most meticulously choreographed suspension of reality that America has ever seen.
Alas, as a testament to his ginormous ineptitude, even this flotilla of revisionism and spin could not keep the bodies from floating to the surface.
At this hour, a pathetic string of panic moves confirms the impending horror. His remaining toadies work to discredit Donald Trump. No outgoing president has ever tried to discredit the incoming president even before they took office. Obama blurts out how he would have beaten Trump. He has become Norma Desmond descending the staircase in the final scene of Sunset Boulevard.
Let’s take one final look at what he did to us.
- He paralyzed the economy: The expansion that began in June 2009 has been the weakest since World War II, with real gross domestic product growth averaging 2.1%. At 7 1/2 years and counting, it is also among the longest on record. 98 million Americans are out of the workforce. Millions more live below the poverty level.
He strangled small business with regulations. He fought harder to put men in women’s restrooms than he did to put money in your pocket.
The greatest testament to his failure in the economy was the immediate reaction of the Stock Market and business when Donald Trump won. Economic pundit Caroline Baum said, “New signs of optimism emerged immediately following Trump’s Nov. 8 election. The stock market has been positively buoyant while consumer, business and home-builder confidence have all soared. Surveys suggest businesses are planning to increase capital spending. That sense of optimism will need to be ratified by results, but the message to Obama is unmistakable: Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.”
- He nearly destroyed the Democratic Party. “In the eight years since he was first elected, Democrats have lost more than 1,000 seats at the state and national level. Republicans now control 4,170 state legislative seats compared with 3,129 for the Democrats, an all-time low.
Republicans now hold 33 governorships and will have full control — governorship and both houses of the state legislature — in 25 states compared with five for the Democrats.
Democrats lost 12 governorships, 13 Senate seats and 69 seats in the House of Representatives during Obama’s two terms, highlighting “a devastation up and down the party across the nation,” -The Hill.
- He looked like a clown to our enemies. Obama claims he told Russian President Vladimir Putin in China in September, to “cut it out” in terms of the hacking. Putin’s reaction embodies the world’s view of Obama. Putin thought it was a joke.
Mr. President, at first, the world saw you as a promise. Then they were amused. Now they are dazed and confused by you. Your eight years of leading from behind and issuing empty threats stripped America of moral authority and turned our foreign policy into sputtering wreckage.
Again, Caroline Baum said, “The wars Obama inherited are still going on. The Taliban has made a comeback in Afghanistan. Syria is in shambles. And Secretary of State John Kerry has been so ineffective that no one even bothered to invite him to the Syrian cease-fire negotiations among Russia, Turkey and Iran.
- He stabbed Israel in the back. Obama overruled 36 years of U.S. policy by abandoning its ally Israel and allowing the passage of U.N. Security Council Resolution 2234, declaring Israeli settlements, including the Western Wall and Temple Mount in East Jerusalem, illegal. He did it out of hatred for Israel.
- He made race relations worse. He stood in front of the Greek columns in Denver and promised to make race relations better. 56% say he made them worse.
Before he had the facts, Obama accused Cambridge, Mass., police officers of acting “stupidly” when they arrested Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his own home in 2009. The police were responding to a report of a potential burglary, which turned out to be Gates trying to pry open his front door.
Blacks and Whites took sides and the racial divide began. On his watch cops were killed out of racial hatred. Rioting, looting and burning down businesses were justified to protest. Obama offered only mild rebukes. He led the Democratic Party down the destructive path of race baiting.
Obama has promoted the idea of a police force biased against blacks. He vehemently denied FBI Director James Comey’s explanation for the surge in violent crime and homicide rates last year as a result of the “Ferguson effect,” with law-enforcement officers pulling back from proactive policing following the 2014 fatal shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.
Obama says police are out to target blacks but totally ignores black on black violence. Chicago, Obama’s hometown, witnessed 762 homicides last year, the most in two decades, and 1,100 more shootings than in 2015. Obama refuses to accept the fact that police are three times less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than white ones.
- Obama will not say Radical Islamic Terrorism no matter what. Once more let me quote Caroline Baum: “Obama has spent eight years deftly avoiding using those three words to call an act what it is. He has intellectualized his position by claiming the phrase “equates Islam with terrorism,” which is counterproductive to U.S. counterterrorism efforts.
Instead, Obama prefers terms such as “workplace violence,” even if the terrorists in question pay homage to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leader of the Islamic State. A terrorist act provides an opportunity for the president to lecture the nation on the need for stricter gun-control laws.
Calling something what it is may not solve the problem, but avoiding it makes Obama look silly.”
Some of you may wonder why I have skipped other scandals like Benghazi, Solyndra, Fast and Furious and illegals who killed American. Frankly, there is no room here for all his failings.
Legacy? What legacy? Pilate wondered about Jesus’ mission and legacy. He asked Jesus about it. Jesus said, “ask those who saw my works and heard my teaching.”
Hardly anyone is left who can—with a straight face and a strong stomach—say something about Obama’s words, acts and legacy. Obama is left to do it himself.